Sunday, June 26, 2011

People with Asperger's Syndrome Have True Freedom

People with Asperger's Syndrome have true freedom.


True freedom doesn't come in the form of superficial, legislated rights, like the right to vote, the right to assembly, the right to drink...


No, true freedom comes in the form of abstract rights that have never really been spelled out. These rights include challenging gender expectations in EVERY form, having aesthetic tastes and a sense of humor that don't fit the mold, and overall questioning and challenging social conventions that everybody else takes for granted.


Aspies challenge social conventions and expectations practically from the day they can speak-- at least, I did. I resisted a lot of attempts by my parents and Society to try to conform me to them. I eventually picked up the ones that made sense to me and rejected the ones that didn't. I am freer to reject social expectations than most people because I am not affected by peer pressure and don't care what most people think. I would rather have a few friends who like me for who I am and who understand me than dozens of "friends" who "accept" me once I conform to their standards. These challenges we make to Society-- especially when growing up in Public School Society-- come with great risk. We get rejected, harassed, ostracized and generally burned-- badly. But despite all that, we keep doing what we want because we are free in the truest sense of the word.

2 comments:

  1. If your child have aspergers you have to encourage him/her. Even don't feel him/her embarrassed in publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you can only be free inside your head. I don't know if I have Aspergers but have many of the symptoms. If something is not logical I just ignore it and say what I think. It is a mystery to people like me how "ordinary" people can believe or pretend to believe in things which don't make sense, just because everyone else does. I feel zero social pressure from other people because I just don't care about them at all which, as you say, is the true freedom.

    ReplyDelete