Saturday, November 6, 2021

Is It Ableism? Part 10: Challenging Comfort Zones

Links to previous installments in this series:

Part 1: Revisiting the Dark Ages

Part 2: Obvious Definitions of Ableism

Part 3: Defining Disability

Part 4: Internalized Ableism

Part 5: Is "Overcoming" Worth It?

Part 6: Accommodation 

Part 7: Infantilization

Part 8: Immaturity or "The Blog Post Where I Have a Meltdown"



I have already covered quite a bit in this series, which is nearing the end (I anticipate twelve installments). In the last post, I discussed unintentional gaslighting, in which well-meaning people who want to help end up causing someone else (usually autistic) to doubt their own experiences and perceptions. In reference to anxiety-inducing situations, I vaguely alluded to the idea of pushing one's comfort zone as well as the potential limits of that. Not the smoothest segue, but I needed to get here somehow, and this very-sticky topic needs to be covered.

Part 1 and Part 5, I talked about the idea that autism is something that needs to be accepted and accommodated, not something for autistic people to "overcome." We would never tell a wheelchair user that they needed to "overcome" their disability and learn to walk, would we? No. However, the brain is more complex and pliable than a pair of legs; it is constantly evolving throughout the person's life. Like autism, another neurodevelopmental disability-- dyslexia-- exists on a spectrum. A typically-developing child who can only recognize her own name in writing at age four is most likely comfortably reading middle-grade novels at age ten. Perhaps a dyslexic child still couldn't even recognize his own name in writing at age four is still struggling with first-grade level books at age ten. A child with severe dyslexia might never learn how to read and will need to listen to audiobooks.* The problem is, others don't necessarily know where on the spectrum the kid falls, and the kid might not even know themselves. So what do we do? We challenge their comfort zones to see what they're capable of and help their brain evolve. 

Right now I can hear the accusations of ableism coming in because I even suggested challenging people's comfort zones. In fact, I wager I'm going to lose a huge part of my audience from this blog post. Well, as I said, the brain is forever evolving. It's a good idea to challenge people's comfort zones to facilitate that evolution, but also realize the potential limitations of doing so. The goal should never be to make someone with a neurodevelopmental disability "indistinguishable" from their typically-developing peers. Giving a chemistry textbook to a fourteen-year-old who struggled with first-grade literature when he was ten is not going to be helpful. Instead, you might give this kid the first Harry Potter book.** If Harry Potter turns out to be too difficult, don't force the issue; give him something easier. It's a challenge to the kid's comfort zone, but also a form of accommodation.

How does this translate to autism? Unfortunately, growing up I felt like my parents tried the autism equivalent of giving a chemistry book to a dyslexic child. Like many people on the autism spectrum, I have prosopagnosia, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to follow what I'm watching in live-action movies. Unfortunately, prosopagnosia was something I also wasn't identified with during childhood. When I was fourteen, my mom-- an English teacher-- seemed to think that the answer to this difficulty was not to show me something with adult themes that was palatable to me-- Stand by Me, a very adult movie with kids as main characters, seems like an obvious choice in retrospect-- but to take me to a black box production of Shakespeare's Macbeth, in which a few actors played multiple parts and didn't even wear any costumes. It didn't help. I couldn't follow the story, and at the end I just felt stupid and that there was something wrong with me for not having the gushing reaction that Mom expected. This felt like being thrown in the deep end of a pool and being told I'd better learn to swim.

Many people on the spectrum have reported similar attitudes from others about making eye contact. While my discomfort with eye contact was limited to unfamiliar adults and was something I naturally moved past around adolescence, many people in autism groups on Facebook have talked about finding eye contact not uncomfortable, but literally painful-- and no amount of intervention changed anything. Some of them even discussed being traumatized by repeated episodes of pressured, forced eye contact. With today's knowledge about autism, it would make sense to look at each kid individually and see what their potential is and what their limitations are. For me and others like me, perhaps making eye contact with a teacher into a fun game would have helped me become comfortable with this task earlier than I did. Some, however, might recoil at this game, no matter how much fun you think it is, and just not be able to do it. In that case, it's time for you to provide more accommodation, in the form of accepting that the kid-- or adult, if eye contact doesn't improve-- cannot make eye contact. Allow them to show you in their own way that they're listening. Maybe this could be in the form of the person holding up a hand. In any case, the autistic person needs to be the one to decide what that gesture is.

Most importantly, accept that someone's improvement in a skillset is going to improve (or not) at the rate that it's going to improve at, regardless of what you think is acceptable.

Oh, what's that? Only we have to have our comfort zones challenged, because we're "broken", right? Wrong. Everybody needs to have their comfort zones challenged, whether or not they have a disability. In fact, I think one of the biggest mistakes we make as a society is not regularly challenging kids for whom everything is easy. Maybe a child grew up always being the smartest person in all his classes and everyone-- including him-- knew it. He was enrolled in AP Calculus and spent all evening with his girlfriend instead of doing his homework. No problem! The next day at school he did his homework during lunch, less than an hour before math class, and got all the problems right. He did this all the time, and even graduated as valedictorian. 

Perhaps this person was so used to everything coming easily to him and was so used to being the big fish that when he began his freshman year at Princeton University, he discovered that this was no longer the case. Everyone around him was a "big fish" from wherever they came. The coursework was more difficult than he anticipated, and for the first time in his life something wasn't easy for him. This person's comfort zone should have been challenged more when he was growing up to prepare him for meeting others like him. Maybe he should have been enrolled in more challenging math classes at a local community college. Or, perhaps this person didn't draw well, and giving him art lessons in high school would have been a good way to challenge his comfort zone and show him that sometimes new skills aren't easy. 

So at the end of the day, all of us-- autistic, neurotypical, highly intelligent, learning disabled, etc.-- need to have our comfort zones challenged so that the brain evolves-- within reason, and in a way that's accommodating and understanding to the individual. For the neurotypicals reading this, I remind you not to be infantilizing when you're helping someone on the spectrum challenge their comfort zones. Make it a team effort, not something that seems to them like you assuming you know what's best for them because you're neurotypical.

Of course, it's also important that we on the spectrum advocate for ourselves and make our needs heard.***


*I don't know much about dyslexia and if I'm getting anything wrong, I invite others to correct me on the scenarios I'm presenting.
**I have heard stories about kids with dyslexia improving their reading skills because they were so determined to read Harry Potter!
***I realize that for many people this might not be easy. Perhaps it's another challenge to their comfort zone, one that a trusted friend or relative can help them with.

No comments:

Post a Comment