Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Somebody that I Used to Know (You Didn't Have to Cut Me Off)


            The Facebook events page boasted “Family Movie Night: Moana” in the Boston Commons.
Immediately, a vivid image formed in my head: Jen and Chris, a young mother and father in their mid-thirties, are leading their two children, aged five and seven, through Boston’s downtown park. Jen is holding one hand of each of her children. Chris is carrying two folding chairs for himself and his wife and two sleeping bags for the children. Jen is also carrying something—a third child, due in two months.
The five-year-old, Emma, carries her Moana doll. Dangling by the arm, the doll’s dress beginning to tear at the seams from hours of play with Emma and her best friend, Olivia, who also has a Moana doll. They’re long-lost twin sisters, was the compromise the two girls had agreed upon, as neither could be bothered to play the part of another character. The seven-year-old, Liam, is wearing his Maui T-shirt, Maui’s trademark words “You’re welcome!” splayed across the front, with Maui himself flashing his mischievous grin. Liam is carrying a toy of his own, in this case a plastic version Maui’s magic fishhook, which flashes lights and makes sounds when he swings it. Liam and his best friend, Noah, love to take turns pretending to be Maui and playing tricks on the neighborhood kids.
Family Movie Night will be a fun-filled experience for the children. Emma will love watching her favorite Disney Princess learn to sail and navigate the world, and Liam will crack up at Maui’s antics, such as when he pees in the ocean while Moana’s hand is dipped in the water.
Chris and Jen aren’t thinking about whether or not they will enjoy the movie: This outing is for their kids, and this movie is for kids. Tomorrow, Chris and Jen are going to meet with their neighbors, another married couple with young children. These parents will talk about how Ava has taken her first steps, and how Logan will be starting pre-school at the end of the summer. Then, the two families will meet yet another set of parents and their young children for lunch at Margarita’s in Waltham for a birthday lunch: their little boy, Elijah, is turning six tomorrow. And he is starting first grade in September.
            After lunch, they will go to the playground. The six parents will sit and talk about their children while said kids, all the best of friends, play together. They are children after, all, and childhood is a time when friendship exists without any significant barriers. Chris and Jen, however, are very selective as to who they allow in their social circle: They don’t have any friends who do not have children. In fact, when they got married, they severed contact with all their single friends. It was not a formal “parting of ways”; they simply stopped answering emails and phone calls from them, hoping that they would eventually get the hint. In fact, they didn’t invite them to the wedding or even accept their friend requests on Facebook. They kept their married friends around, assuming all of them would eventually have children. But when one couple remained childless after ten years, Chris and Jen excised them as well.  We’re in a different stage of our lives, they rationalized. We’ve outgrown these other people. If they don’t have children, then we have nothing in common with them.
            The Facebook page that advertised the Moana movie night was dated last summer, but I only saw the event page a couple months ago while searching to see if there was a showing of Moana in Boston: I hadn’t seen the movie in theaters, and I was hoping to see it on a “big screen” of some sort, perhaps with a friend. It had become one of my favorite movies after I first saw it last year, so of course I had to collect some of the merchandise: I have two Maui figures, one Moana figure, and Maui and Moana rag dolls; my laptop is covered with Moana stickers that came from the children’s picture books that I had bought (mostly for the superb illustrations). It turns out that in the first week of August, there will be a showing of Moana on Revere Beach. I will most certainly go, possibly alone, but one of my New York friends, who also loves that movie and who I’ve been needling to visit me, is going to see if she come that weekend.
If my friend and I go to this movie, no doubt we will be the anomaly among an audience of mostly young, isolated parents and their children, carrying Moana dolls and Maui’s magic fishhook. The kids in attendance are in the process of forming their identities, but little do they know that it is a temporary thing. Their parents have long ago left their own identities behind: they are no longer artists, writers, dancers, musicians, nerds, jocks, or any semblance of the personas that they had assumed while growing up. They are Parents, full stop. As they eventually learned, childhood isn’t a real thing; it’s not even a dress rehearsal for adult life. It’s a fake world created by the parents for the kids until they are old enough to marry and start a family. Life does not become real until you are married with kids and recreating the fake world for the next generation to inhabit for a couple decades. Those who never figure this out and don’t put away childish things have failed a major life test.
While I only came up with the details of the story just now as I wrote this, the general idea sprouted the moment I saw the ad for Family Movie Night: Isolated parents who had long ago seemingly stepped off a spaceship on another planet with exclusive membership, a holier-than-thou society where any adult who wasn’t married with children (or with the intention of having children) was an unperson, lightyears behind on an apparently linear, unidirectional trajectory of life and beneath them in every way. Why in the world did reading an ad for a showing of Moana trigger this vivid image in my head? Because I had been in a very dark place: My friend, Ryan, had gotten into a serious relationship and I hadn’t heard from him in months. He was blatantly ignoring my Facebook messages, and I kept thinking that it was due to of something like what I’ve just described: that he had “moved on” because he was at a stage in life that I have no way of knowing if I will ever enter.
A few nights ago, Ryan and I saw each other for the first time since January. We met for dinner and had a long talk about everything that had happened. It turned out that a message that I had sent Ryan in April, after we had briefly gotten back in touch, regarding concerns about the dynamics of our relationship was something that he had not been in an appropriate state of mind to address, as he had been overwhelmed by other things in his life. He also said that he had been realizing some things about himself that he didn’t want to face and that my message was yet another example being brought to his attention.
Ryan had meant to get back to me but the longer he put it off… the longer he put it off until ultimately it would’ve been too little too late, in his mind. He compared it to someone in debt who kept putting off paying bills until finally cutting his losses and declaring bankruptcy. Ryan had absolutely no idea how hurtful these actions were until one day when I messaged him with the direct question, “Are we still friends?”. He certainly didn’t realize how they made me second-guess myself and the way I’m hardwired and the way I live my life, feeling as though I’m a child: I’m demisexual (Google it), I don’t date, and I’ve never been in a relationship.  He realizes now that his behavior was hurtful and has since apologized. The two of us agreed to meet halfway on how we communicate; if Ryan doesn’t respond to messages right away, I’ll be patient, and in turn Ryan will acknowledge my messages but let me know if he’s too busy to talk or hang out.
Sure, you might say, people isolate themselves for a few months in the beginning of a relationship, but then when things calm down a bit, their friendships return to normal. Unfortunately, I did not have that kind of luxury to make that assumption about Ryan’s lack of communication, and for the few months that he and I had been out of touch, I was racking my brain trying to figure out why this was happening. I was also convinced that I would never see or even talk to him again. Because I have a history of friends ghosting me—such as in 2008, when Melanie, my best friend of sixteen years did not invite me to her wedding and completely cut me off  —my reflexive reaction is to assume that I have done something to make the other person angry, uncomfortable, or otherwise feel that the only possible way to handle the situation is to terminate all contact with me.
The situation with Melanie was very traumatic, and between that and Ryan’s lack of responsiveness, seeing that advertisement for Family Movie Night led to the above story being planted in my head. I have had similar embittered reactions when seeing this commercial and this commercial, both of which depict parenthood in an idyllic manner. Ever since the estrangement from Melanie, I reflexively think that in general I cannot—that is, I literally am not allowed—to be friends with people in relationships, let alone be friends with people who are married and have kids. If I met the right guy, sure, I probably would get married, or at least cohabitate. But as I’m demisexual, it’s not something that’s on my radar. I can literally count on my fingers the number of people I’ve been attracted to, and obviously my being attracted to that person is only half the equation: the other person has to reciprocate. Given that I experience attraction so infrequently to begin with, the chances of a mutual interest are very low.  And I absolutely do not want to have kids (I’d have to change my mind very quickly anyway, as I’m 37).
Why should my relative lack of interest in romance and sex and my decision not to have kids preclude me from being friends with people in serious relationships? When Melanie got married and cut me off, my mother told me that married couples usually cut off their single friends (she doesn’t recall putting it in those extreme terms, but I remember vividly that she did). She also said that when you get married it is a different stage of your life. Same as when you have kids. Although she has since retracted her statements excusing Melanie’s actions and has apologized profusely, it is difficult for me to forget. My vivid memory is both a blessing and a curse. Besides, I have heard that same mantra over and over again about “different stages” from a number of people. Some people have also called me “naïve”—a term that implies social immaturity—due to my inexperience in romantic and sexual relationships. Wouldn’t the more neutral “inexperienced” do? Apparently not, because the idea that experience with romance, sex, and the desire to have children make you an adult instead of one type of adult is so ingrained in our society. It’s as if life is a linear, unidirectional pathway with milestones that are objectively on a higher tier than others. Additionally, the idea that you can either be a married adult with children or be a proverbial child yourself is a false dichotomy, yet many people fail to realize that.
The notion that relationships, marriage, and children are “stages” is one that makes me cringe. In fact, recently, literally hours before Ryan responded to my “Are we still friends?” message, I was telling somebody at work about what was going on. I sought his advice because he was talking to me about his girlfriend and some of their shared friends. My coworker started with the damned “stages” mantra. I said, “No. Puberty is a stage. Old age is a stage. These are all stages that everybody goes through as long as they live long enough.” My coworker interrupted, saying, “Everybody also falls in love.” I said, “No. No they don’t. Just listen. I’ve never been in a relationship. It’s hard to say if I ever will be. It’s naïve to say that everybody falls in love.” I then explained to him what it means to be demisexual and also said, “And as for having kids? That’s not in my future.” My coworker has one hand that has only two digits. I wish I would thought to ask him how he would feel if someone had said to him, “Everybody has ten fingers.” It is frustrating when there are things that most people take for granted that are just not part of your own life.
As for Ryan, when we had our talk, I told him about the fears and second-guessing that plagued my mind during the months that we hadn’t spoken. Was he cutting me off?, I had wondered. If so, was it because I had never been in a relationship and that made me a child in his eyes? That was a notion that I had seriously entertained during those few months. I then confessed that I felt like an overgrown child. For example, when I’m at Target I might see parents buying Moana figures for their five-year-olds, and I’m there at age 37 buying these toys for myself: I haven’t left the fake world that adults create for children before boarding the spaceship and heading to the planet where real life begins.
Ryan commented that the idea that my sexuality, relationship status, and parent status should have any impact on who I can be friends with is ridiculous. He also said that he too sometimes feels like an overgrown child. For one thing, he likes things like action figures, children’s cartoons, and video games. Although already married once, he hasn’t had children yet and members of his family are pressuring him to remarry and have children. He told me that the fact that he hasn’t done this yet makes him feel like people see him as immature. I was floored when Ryan told me this. He’s 32 years old, and in 2018 being someone who wants to have kids and to have not had them yet at age 32 is increasingly common; my cousin had her first and only child just two months before her 39th birthday. But Ryan’s family is from the south and, presumably, they have a more conservative outlook on life: Get married and have children by a certain age, because that’s what you’re supposed to do. But why? How does it affect his family members? These aren’t parents begging for grandchildren—his parents are deceased—and his two siblings already have children. So it’s unlikely a matter of pressure to continue the family name or to quell “baby fever” (not that anybody should pressure family to do this anyway) and more likely a question of what one has to do to be an adult.  It’s attitudes like this that fuel the cynical and embittered scenario like the one I opened this blog with.
Another scenario that kept coming into my mind over the course of the few months that Ryan and I hadn’t been speaking—partially because friends and family who I’d been talking to about this put it there—was that Ryan’s girlfriend perhaps had told Ryan she didn’t want him having opposite-sex friends. Initially, I dismissed the idea as ridiculous: In 2018? In Boston? And how threatening to their relationship would I, an androgynous, autistic, almost-asexual person, be? But since so many people suggested it, I truly began to believe it. What then? Should I stop making friends with heterosexual guys in case they get into relationships, because then they have to cut off their opposite-sex friends? And what if one partner of an opposite-sex relationship is bisexual? No friends for that person because everyone is a potential sex partners? Should I join the polyamorous community where there would likely be no politics involving the sex of the person you’re friends with? Ryan told me that this was another red herring: his girlfriend trusted him. She not only knows who I am but also knows that Ryan has several friends who are women. It’s not an issue.
What it ultimately came down to was that my message to Ryan about my concerns about our friendship was poorly-timed, and Ryan’s judgment of how to handle it was reckless. It had nothing to do with my sexuality, my lifestyle, Ryan’s girlfriend being territorial, or Ryan feeling like he was in a “different stage of his life” and that I was immature compared to him. While I know logically that anybody who writes me off as a friend because of my being single/childless childfree/anything else that precludes societal-expected adulthood is an ignorant person who is not worth my time, it’s difficult for me to put that into practice. The idea of somebody cutting off their single friends once they marry is cliché for a reason. After hearing stories like this so many times, having had it happen to me once and my fearing that it had happened to me yet again, eventually I begin to ask if I’m the one with the problem rather than conclude that a remarkable number of people are ignorant, inconsiderate, and limited.
I want to emphasize that when I talk about what happened with Melanie, my best friend of sixteen years, and what I thought was happening with Ryan, I am not talking about a natural, gradual drifting apart. I am talking about the sudden and deliberate excision of the other person from their life once they marry, an exclusionary action so severe that the former friends are not even connected on social media: Ten years ago, Melanie rejected my friend request on the then-popular MySpace (to my knowledge she is not on Facebook). I realize that when your friends marry and have children, of course you are not going to see them as frequently and that you have to adjust certain dynamics of the relationship. When my cousin Melinda had her child, I fully expected that whenever I hang out with Melinda her son will be there, at least until he is old enough to be alone more of the time. So I not only have adapted, but I have made an effort to establish a relationship with this child. He is only 3 years old, and I don’t think he’s seen me enough to recognize me. But when I do see him, I read to him and play with him, and not just because he is family either. I would adapt in this way even if a non-relative had a child.
Now, if only society would adapt a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment